The children – Who comes to the MPE?
The Fribourg Maison de la Petite Enfance is open to children between 0 and 4 years of age, accompanied by a parent, grandparent, child-minder or other person responsible for a child. Within this space for play children can meet friends, have an early experience of autonomy and socialization, get to know others, and learn some of the rules of living in a group, all in a safe environment. In this way they can prepare for subsequent experiences of separation. Adults can meet other parents, share their day-to-day concerns, play with the children, or just have some breathing space. Two professionals in the field of young children are present to listen and lend their attention to both the children and the adults accompanying them.
Our team of professionals is a group of about 10 women and men of different ages whose common ground is a background in childhood and human relationships. There are specialist teachers, psychologists, psychotherapists, playgroup leaders, nurses, kindergarten nurses, …
Our credo is based upon the philosophy of Françoise Dolto and the experience of places such as «la Maison Verte». We work in a spirit of collaboration and hold regular team meetings supervised by a specialist that allow us to improve our practice.
Rules and objectives: How does it work?
Each Maison Verte is autonomous but follows the same rules:
- Each child is accompanied by an adult who must be present throughout and cannot leave for any reason
- Only the first name and age of the child and the child’s relationship with the accompanying adult is written down on the board at the entrance. This anonymity of families ensures both internal and external confidentiality. No files are kept and no information is given to third parties
- Each person can arrive at any time they wish without prior notice and can stay as long as they wish. There is no program of activities: those present can sit, read, chat, have a coffee or just relax
- A financial contribution is requested but the amount is at the discretion of the parents
- Children should observe certain rules for life in a group: toys with wheels should be kept within their designated area, aprons should be worn when playing with water, children should sit at table when eating